Tax scammers are ready to pounce. Are you ready? The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and United States Computer Emergency Readiness Team (US-CERT) have recently published some posts about some common tax-related scams.
These five pages were published during the National Tax Security Awareness week to educate people about tax scams, but they are relevant during any week.
Avoiding Social Engineering and Phishing Attacks
US-CERT also reminded people of some simple methods people can avoid social engineering and phishing attacks in this Security Tip. Here are some relevant points from the tip.
In a social engineering attack, an attacker uses human interaction (social skills) to obtain or compromise information about an organization or its computer systems. An attacker may seem unassuming and respectable, possibly claiming to be a new employee, repair person, or researcher and even offering credentials to support that identity. However, by asking questions, he or she may be able to piece together enough information to infiltrate an organization’s network. If an attacker is not able to gather enough information from one source, he or she may contact another source within the same organization and rely on the information from the first source to add to his or her credibility.
CompTIA Security+ Study Guide
The CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead: SY0-601 Study Guide
is an update to the top-selling SY0-201, SY0-301, SY0-401, and SY0-501 study guides, which have helped thousands of readers pass the exam the first time they took it. It includes the same elements readers raved about in the previous four versions.
Each of the eleven chapters presents topics in an easy to understand manner and includes real-world examples of security principles in action.
You’ll understand the important and relevant security topics for the Security+ exam, without being overloaded with unnecessary details. Additionally, each chapter includes a comprehensive review section to help you focus on what’s important.
Over 300 realistic practice test questions with in-depth explanations will help you test your comprehension and readiness for the exam. The book includes:
- A 75 question pre-test
- A 75 question post-test
- Practice test questions at the end of every chapter.
Each practice test question includes a detailed explanation to help you understand the content and the reasoning behind the question. You’ll be ready to take and pass the exam the first time you take it.
If you plan to pursue any of the advanced security certifications, this guide will also help you lay a solid foundation of security knowledge. Learn this material, and you’ll be a step ahead for other exams. This SY0-601 study guide is for any IT or security professional interested in advancing in their field, and a must-read for anyone striving to master the basics of IT security.
Kindle edition also available.
What is a phishing attack?
Phishing is a form of social engineering. Phishing attacks use email or malicious websites to solicit personal information by posing as a trustworthy organization. For example, an attacker may send email seemingly from a reputable credit card company or financial institution that requests account information, often suggesting that there is a problem. When users respond with the requested information, attackers can use it to gain access to the accounts.
Phishing attacks may also appear to come from other types of organizations, such as charities. Attackers often take advantage of current events and certain times of the year, such as
- natural disasters (e.g., Hurricane Katrina, Indonesian tsunami)
- epidemics and health scares (e.g., H1N1)
- economic concerns (e.g., IRS scams)
- major political elections
Full Security+ Course
SY0-601 Full Security+ Course
Helping you Pass the First Time
This course includes all of the multiple-choice practice test questions, performance-based questions, audio, and flashcards from the but adds the CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead: SY0-601 Study Guide within an online course.
Test your readiness with these quality materials
Here’s what you get
Random 75-question tests
Random practice tests from the all of the practice test questions in the CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead: SY0-601 Study Guide
. All questions include explanations so you’ll know why the correct answers are correct, and why the incorrect answers are incorrect.
These questions show you what you can expect in the live exam. They include drag and drop, matching, sorting, and fill in the blank questions.
Online Flashcard Set
Audio – SY0-601 Security+ Remember This Audio Files
Learn by Listening (MP3 downloads.)
Audio – SY0-601 Security+ Question and Answer Audio Files Learn by Listening (MP3 downloads.)
The same set of questions organized by domain including questions in the CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead: SY0-601 Study Guide
plus extra practice test questions.
Audio from the end of chapter reviews from each of the chapters in the CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead: SY0-601 Study Guide
Bonus #3 Access to all of the online content that is available for free to anyone that purchases the CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead: SY0-601 Study Guide. This includes labs, extra practice test questions, and supplementary materials.
Bonus #4 Extended access. Access the study materials for a total of 60 days because sometimes life happens.
Bonus #5 10% off Voucher Code. Access to a coupon code that will give you 10% off your exam voucher. At the current price of $370 USD for the Security+ voucher, this can save you $37.
Get the SY0-601 Full Security+ Course Here
How do you avoid being a victim?
- Be suspicious of unsolicited phone calls, visits, or email messages from individuals asking about employees or other internal information. If an unknown individual claims to be from a legitimate organization, try to verify his or her identity directly with the company.
- Do not provide personal information or information about your organization, including its structure or networks, unless you are certain of a person’s authority to have the information.
- Do not reveal personal or financial information in email, and do not respond to email solicitations for this information. This includes following links sent in email.
- Don’t send sensitive information over the Internet before checking a website’s security. (See Protecting Your Privacy for more information.)
- Pay attention to the URL of a website. Malicious websites may look identical to a legitimate site, but the URL may use a variation in spelling or a different domain (e.g., .com vs. .net).
- If you are unsure whether an email request is legitimate, try to verify it by contacting the company directly. Do not use contact information provided on a website connected to the request; instead, check previous statements for contact information. Information about known phishing attacks is also available online from groups such as the Anti-Phishing Working Group.
- Install and maintain anti-virus software, firewalls, and email filters to reduce some of this traffic. (See Understanding Firewalls, Understanding Anti-Virus Software, and Reducing Spam for more information.)
- Take advantage of any anti-phishing features offered by your email client and web browser.
Security+ (SY0-601) Practice Test Questions
SY0-601 Practice Test Questions
Over 385 realistic Security+ practice test questions
At least 10 performance-based questions
All questions include explanations so you’ll know why the correct answers are correct,
and why the incorrect answers are incorrect.
Upgrade Your Resume with the Security+ New Version
Multiple quiz formats to let you use these questions based on the way you learn.
- Learn mode – randomized. View each of the questions in random order. Learn mode allows you to keep selecting answers until you select the correct answer. Once you select the correct answer, you’ll see the explanation. Click here to see how learn mode works.
- Test mode – randomized. View each of the questions in random order. In test mode, you can only see the correct answers and explanations after you complete the test. Click here to see how test mode works.
- Test mode – 75 random questions. View 75 random questions from the full test bank similar to how the Security+ exam has a potential maximum of 75 multiple choice questions.
Pass the First Time You Take It
Get the full bank of SY0-601 Practice Test Questions Here
Click here if you’re looking for SY0-501 Online Study Package