CompTIA announced that the Security+ SY0-401 version will go live in May 2014. If you want to see the objectives, you can get them from here.
SY0-301 Available Until End of 2014
If you’re studying for the SY0-301 version, don’t worry. You have until the end of the year to take and pass it.
Should I Wait for 401 Version?
The common question when a new version comes out is “should I wait?” The answer is no.
If you want the Security+ certification, the time to act is now. Hiring managers don’t care if you have the 301 or the 401 version. They only care if you have the Security+ certification.
Carpe diem (seize the day) or more appropriately carpe certem (seize the cert).
At this writing, there is a limited amount of material available for the 401 version. However, there is plenty of study material available for the 301 version.
Many people tell me they take and pass the Security+ exam within 45 days after getting this book: CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead: SY0-301 Study Guide..
Even if it takes you a little longer, you’ll have plenty of time to get the certification before December 31, 2014, the last day when the 301 version will be available. If you pursue an IT security path, you could have the Security+, CASP, and SSCP all done by December 31.
Is a 401 Version of the Study Guide Coming Out?
However, I don’t know the timeline right now. I’m in the middle of two large projects and when they are done, I’ll shift my attention to the SY0-401 version of the CompTIA Security+ Get Certified Get Ahead Study Guide.
I will announce progress in the Get Certified Get Ahead newsletter so if you’re interested, I encourage you to subscribe to it.
Security+ SY0-401 Differences
The following list of links will take you to a series of posts showing all the SYO-401 differences compared to the SY0-301 exam.
- SY0-401 Differences in Domains
- SY0-401 Differences in Network Security
- SY0-401 Differences in Compliance and Operational Security
- SY0-401 Differences in Threats and Vulnerabilities
- SY0-401 Differences in Application, Data and Host Security
- SY0-401 Differences in Access Control and Identity Management
- SY0-401 Differences in Cryptography
- SY0-401 Differences in Acronyms
Security+ Study Resources
Other Security+ Study Resources
- Security+ blogs organized by categories
- Security+ blogs with free practice test questions
- Security+ blogs on new performance-based questions
- Mobile Apps: Apps for mobile devices running iOS or Android
- Audio Files: Learn by listening with over 6 hours of audio on Security+ topics
- Flashcards: 494 Security+ glossary flashcards, 222 Security+ acronyms flashcards and 223 Remember This slides
- Quality Practice Test Questions: Over 300 quality Security+ practice test questions with full explanations
- Full Security+ Study Packages: Quality practice test questions, audio, and Flashcards