Pass the Security+ Exam in 30 Days or Less
Yes, you can pass the Security+ exam in 30 days or less. Many other people have done it. Why not you?
If you really want to do something, you will find a way. If you don’t, you’ll find an excuse.”
– Jim Rohn
If you really want to earn this certification, and you have some IT experience, you can pass the Security+ exam and earn this certification. Here are seven simple steps.
1) Get a Good Study Guide to Pass the Security+ Exam
The first step to pass the Security+ exam in 30 days or less is to get a good study guide. I hear from people almost daily that have passed the exam using the CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead: SY0-401 Study Guide.
Don’t take my word for it though. Check out these reviews on Amazon.
Here are a few sample comments:
- “I got this book and studied like crazy for one month….After all my preparation, I take the test and score 841 of 900!!”
- “Well written. After 3 weeks of study I passed with an 816.”
- “I read a chapter and a half a day for two weeks, took my test and passed.”
- “This Book is simply amazing….I was required to take this for my job, and was only given 9 days to study. I am happy to report that I managed to score an 841.”
- “The information is provided in a clear and concise fashion that highlights aspects of the text that need to be remembered for the test. Bottom line I read this in three days, took the exam and passed with an 885.”
The CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead: SY0-401 Study Guide is available in both a paperback and Kindle format. It is enrolled in Amazon’s Kindle Matchbook program, so if you buy the paperback book from Amazon, you can get the Kindle version for only $2.99.
You can also get supplementary materials for the study guide including”
- Audio from the study guide
- Flashcards using material from the study guide
- Practice test questions in an online testing engine from the study guide
- Simulated performance based questions in an online testing engine
2) Do the Assessment
As soon as you get the book, do the Assessment exam at the beginning of the book.
When doing practice test questions from the book, write down your answers on a piece of paper instead of marking up the book. This way you can take the questions again later without seeing the answers circled.
Alternatively, you can purchase the online practice test questions. The 60 day packages include the questions organized by chapters.
3) Get a Discount Voucher and Schedule Your Exam
Schedule your exam for 30 days after you do the assessment.
You can get a free code for a discounted voucher here.
This coupon code will give you 10% off any CompTIA test vouchers. However, it is NOT valid for any of the CompTIA packages at this time. In other words, this code won’t work for any of the CompTIA bundles.
4) Start Studying
Read half a chapter a day for four days in row.
- After reading, review the Chapter Review topics for what you read.
- After the review, do at least 10 of the practice test questions for the chapter.
- After doing the practice test questions, take the time to read the explanation.
5) Mix Studying with Review
After four days of studying new material, take one day for review.
- Reread all the chapter reviews from chapters you’ve finished.
- Do all of the practice test questions that you’ve finished previously.
- Look at blog articles for any topics that interest you or you want to dig into deeper.
Some blog articles that might interest you are:
- Security+ Performance-based Questions
- Performance-based Question FAQs
- 5 Performance-based Questions Tips
- 7 Steps to Security+ (SY0-401) Certification
- Firewall Configuration Performance Question
After the review day, spend the next four days reading new material followed by another day of review. The last set of studying days will be only two days of new material.
If you want to use a day-by-day study plan, you can use this one.
6) Do the Post Exam
Do the post exam at the end of the book.
- After doing the practice test questions, take the time to read the explanations.
- Review any material that isn’t clear to you.
7) Take the Exam and Celebrate Your Success
On test day, review key material. This includes:
- Chapter Reviews from each chapter
- Key tables within the book such as:
- The Ports table (Table 3.1)
- OSI topics (Table 3.2)
- Wireless standards (Table 4.1)
- Algorithms (Table 10.1)
- Symmetric encryption protocols (Table 10.2)
This post includes five success tips for the Security+ exam, including some strategies you can use when answering the questions.
After taking the exam, take time to celebrate your success. You deserve it.