I recently received a message from someone that failed the Security+ exam. He was desperate to pass the Security+ exam after failing it five times. While it’s rare to hear from someone that has failed the exam so many times, I do occasionally hear from people that have failed.
The reasons are often the same.
Failed Security+ 5 Times Please Help
Here’s some of his message:
“Hello Mr. Gibson. … in my career field we need to be Security+ certified to move on. However I am on my fifth time re-testing and I feel like your study material isn’t helping as much as I want it and if I fail it a sixth time my dad will beat me savagely with a pair of jumper cables pls help
Failed Security+ Reply
Here’s a slightly edited version of my reply:
Did you look at this FAQ?
“Am I Ready?”
When people tell me that they’ve failed after using the materials on the site, I typically see one (or more) of the following issues:
- They didn’t use all the materials
- They didn’t get recommended scores of 90% on all the materials
- They memorized the questions and answers
Look at your scores. What do you see?
- Did you use all the materials?
- Did you ultimately score higher than 90% on the quizzes?
- Did you remind yourself why the correct answers were correct and why the incorrect answers were incorrect, or did you zip through the quizzes because you had memorized the questions and answers?
CompTIA Security+ Study Guide
The CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead: SY0-601 Study Guide
is an update to the top-selling SY0-201, SY0-301, SY0-401, and SY0-501 study guides, which have helped thousands of readers pass the exam the first time they took it. It includes the same elements readers raved about in the previous four versions.
Each of the eleven chapters presents topics in an easy to understand manner and includes real-world examples of security principles in action.
You’ll understand the important and relevant security topics for the Security+ exam, without being overloaded with unnecessary details. Additionally, each chapter includes a comprehensive review section to help you focus on what’s important.
Over 300 realistic practice test questions with in-depth explanations will help you test your comprehension and readiness for the exam. The book includes:
- A 75 question pre-test
- A 75 question post-test
- Practice test questions at the end of every chapter.
Each practice test question includes a detailed explanation to help you understand the content and the reasoning behind the question. You’ll be ready to take and pass the exam the first time you take it.
If you plan to pursue any of the advanced security certifications, this guide will also help you lay a solid foundation of security knowledge. Learn this material, and you’ll be a step ahead for other exams. This SY0-601 study guide is for any IT or security professional interested in advancing in their field, and a must-read for anyone striving to master the basics of IT security.
Kindle edition also available.
I peeked at your scores. Here’s what I see.
- I don’t see any record of you taking the Extras quiz.
- I see one record of you taking the Test Your Readiness quiz with a score rounded up to 18%.
- I see six records of you taking one set of the performance-based questions with the highest score rounded up to 12%.
- While I see some high scores for some of the quizzes you took repeatedly, I don’t see consistent scores over 90% for the quizzes.
Only you know the answer to this question. Did you remind yourself why the correct answers were correct and why the incorrect answers were incorrect.
Security+ (SY0-601) Practice Test Questions
SY0-601 Practice Test Questions
Over 385 realistic Security+ practice test questions
At least 10 performance-based questions
All questions include explanations so you’ll know why the correct answers are correct,
and why the incorrect answers are incorrect.
Upgrade Your Resume with the Security+ New Version
Multiple quiz formats to let you use these questions based on the way you learn.
- Learn mode – randomized. View each of the questions in random order. Learn mode allows you to keep selecting answers until you select the correct answer. Once you select the correct answer, you’ll see the explanation. Click here to see how learn mode works.
- Test mode – randomized. View each of the questions in random order. In test mode, you can only see the correct answers and explanations after you complete the test. Click here to see how test mode works.
- Test mode – 75 random questions. View 75 random questions from the full test bank similar to how the Security+ exam has a potential maximum of 75 multiple choice questions.
Pass the First Time You Take It
Get the full bank of SY0-601 Practice Test Questions Here
Click here if you’re looking for SY0-501 Online Study Package
Knowing the correct answer to a practice test question isn’t enough. You also need to know why the correct answers are correct and why the incorrect answers are incorrect. This way you have the best chance of accurately interpreting the questions on the live exam and answering them correctly.
Last, successful people commonly develop the following three habits:
- Figure out what doesn’t work and stop
- Figure out what works and keep doing it
- Try new things
Full Security+ Course
SY0-601 Full Security+ Course
Helping you Pass the First Time
This course includes all of the multiple-choice practice test questions, performance-based questions, audio, and flashcards from the but adds the CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead: SY0-601 Study Guide within an online course.
Test your readiness with these quality materials
Here’s what you get
Random 75-question tests
Random practice tests from the all of the practice test questions in the CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead: SY0-601 Study Guide
. All questions include explanations so you’ll know why the correct answers are correct, and why the incorrect answers are incorrect.
These questions show you what you can expect in the live exam. They include drag and drop, matching, sorting, and fill in the blank questions.
Online Flashcard Set
Audio – SY0-601 Security+ Remember This Audio Files
Learn by Listening (MP3 downloads.)
Audio – SY0-601 Security+ Question and Answer Audio Files Learn by Listening (MP3 downloads.)
The same set of questions organized by domain including questions in the CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead: SY0-601 Study Guide
plus extra practice test questions.
Audio from the end of chapter reviews from each of the chapters in the CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead: SY0-601 Study Guide
Bonus #3 Access to all of the online content that is available for free to anyone that purchases the CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead: SY0-601 Study Guide. This includes labs, extra practice test questions, and supplementary materials.
Bonus #4 Extended access. Access the study materials for a total of 60 days because sometimes life happens.
Bonus #5 10% off Voucher Code. Access to a coupon code that will give you 10% off your exam voucher. At the current price of $370 USD for the Security+ voucher, this can save you $37.
Get the SY0-601 Full Security+ Course Here
Five fails indicates that what you’ve been doing isn’t working. It’s time to try new things.
Try this. It is a formula that many people have used to successfully pass this test.
- Use all the materials on the site.
- Ensure you get passing scores for all the quizzes.
- Take the time to remind yourself why the correct answers are correct and why the incorrect answers are incorrect.
I’ve shared this same advice with others. Many told me that they took it, studied diligently, and passed the exam.
A couple of people later told me that they failed the exam again and lost their job (because their job was dependent on getting this certification). When I looked at their scores, I saw the same mistakes repeated.
I’m sure your Dad loves you and won’t really beat you “savagely with a pair of jumper cables.” However, you may find that your employer may not be so forgiving.
Fail Security+ or Pass Security+
I have no doubt that this person can pass the Security+ exam. However, I also know that it’s a tough exam. It will take time to go through all the materials, get scores over 90%, and gain an understanding of why the correct answers are correct and why the incorrect answers are incorrect.
Will he do it?