Have you heard about CompTIAs new stackable certifications? If you’ve earned more than a couple of CompTIA certifications, you may already have one of them.
As an example, if you an A+ and Network+ certification, you now also have the CompTIA IT Operations Specialist stackable certification.
If you have the CompTIA A+, Network+, and Security+ certifications, you you now also have the CompTIA Secure Infrastructure Specialist stackable certification.
- CompTIA Infrastructure Career Pathway
- CompTIA Cybersecurity Career Pathway
CompTIA Infrastructure Career Pathway
The CompTIA Infrastructure Career Pathway includes the following five separate stackable certifications:
- CompTIA IT Operations Specialist (A+ / Network+).
- CompTIA Systems Support Specialist (A+ / Linux+).
- CompTIA Cloud Admin Professional (Network+ / Cloud+).
- CompTIA Network Infrastructure Professional (Network+ / Server+).
- CompTIA Linux Network Professional (Network+ / Linux+).
CompTIA Cybersecurity Career Pathway
The CompTIA Cybersecurity Career Pathway includes the following five separate stackable certifications:
- CompTIA Secure Infrastructure Specialist (A+ / Network+ / Security+).
- CompTIA Secure Cloud Professional (Security+ / Cloud+).
- CompTIA Security Analytics Professional (Security+ / CSA+).
- CompTIA Security Analytics Expert (Security+ / CSA+ / CASP+).
Stackable Certifications and Career Paths
People often ask me what certification they should take. I often suggest they follow these three steps:
- Go here: https://blogs.getcertifiedgetahead.com/.
- Type in a search term (such as path) in the Google Custom Search box.
- Check out the blogs I’ve written on the topic including this one Recommended Certification Path.
With these new stackable certifications, people can choose a path based on their interest: infrastructure or cybersecurity.
Infrastructure Stackable Certifications
Within the context of information technology (IT), infrastructure refers to the hardware and network components used to support an IT network or system. This includes things such as user computers (desktop PCs, laptops, and mobile devices), network devices such as routers and switches, and servers.
CompTIA certifications A+ and Network+ provide a solid foundation for someone starting on an IT infrastructure pathway. Because many servers and other devices use Linux, Linux+ is a logical next step for technicians working in an infrastructure environment. Additionally, technicians can add some specialization with the Cloud+ and/or the Server+ certification.
These stackable certifications help validate your skillsets needed in a broad number of IT infrastructure roles.
Cybersecurity Stackable Certifications
Cybersecurity refers to the knowledge, technologies, practices, and procedures used to protect IT resources from threats. This is an extremely wide field with multiple career paths.
The CompTIA A+, Network+, and Security+ certifications provide a solid foundation for someone starting a career in IT security. The next step in this CompTIA path is the CSA+ (or CySA+) certification, for someone wanting to expand their knowledge in cybersecurity. The Cloud+ certification helps someone show some specialization in cloud technologies.
Last, the CASP+ certification (combined with CSA+ and CASP+) helps people demonstrate an Expert level of knowedge in cybersecurity.
Stackable Certifications Experience Level
You many have noticed that these certifications include the following three words at the end of each: Specialist, Professional, or Expert. These refer to an implied experience level.
- Specialist: Early-career IT professionals with 0–2 years of experience.
- Professional: Mid-level IT professionals with 2–5 years of experience.
- Expert: Established IT professionals with more than 5 years of experience.
No Action Needed
You may have already received an email indicating you earned one of these stackable certifications. If you missed, you can login to the CompTIA site and click on the Stackable Certifications tab to see if you’ve earned one of them already.